PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
Application and Scope
Definition of Personal Information
Collection and Use of Personal Information
We collect most of our information about you directly from you, with your consent when required by law. For example, when you take a test drive, online request an appointment or vehicle quote, purchase or lease a vehicle, or service your vehicle, Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc will collect information about you. We may also conduct contests, quizzes, surveys, promotions and offer several forms of personalized services such as vehicle warranty, servicing and maintenance and OnStar services, in respect of which you may be requested to provide personal information, such as name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, age and other information that may be required to provide or administer these services or promotions.
[We may also obtain personal information about you from third parties, with your consent. For example, for credit evaluation purposes, we may need to determine your creditworthiness through contact with an independent credit reporting agency.]
Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc generally collects personal information from or about its customers and other individuals with whom it deals, and thereafter uses it, for the following purposes:
- to establish, develop and preserve its business relationship respectively with its customers and other individuals with whom it deals;
- to create, establish and administer customers' accounts and to respond to customer or supplier inquiries;
- to provide the products or services that it offers, or receive the products or services that it requests, and ensure that all related transactions are supported and implemented;
- to authenticate the identity and preserve the privacy of customers contacting Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc by telephone, electronic means or otherwise;
- to conduct market analysis, as well as for internal training and quality assurance purposes;
- [as necessary, to establish or verify the credit of persons that use, or intend to purchase, one or more of the products or services offered by Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc];
- to manage its General Motors Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc business and ensure the efficiency, reliability and security of its systems and networks;
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements and allow Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc to meet contractual requirements relating to the products and services provided to customers;
- to ensure its records are accurate and to protect customers and Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc from error and fraud;
- to understand and assess the interests, wants and changing needs of customers with a view to improving its products and services and developing new ones;
- to provide personalized products and services as well as product recommendations to customers; and
- subject to our customers' Right to Withdraw Consent, to conduct surveys on the quality of our products, services or customer service or to provide our customers with offers for additional products and services that we feel may be of interest to our customers or that we believe meet our customers' changing needs.
- If you have applied for employment with Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc, the personal information submitted with your job application will be used for recruitment and other customary human resources purposes. For example, we may send you information about new job opportunities within Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc as well as other career development resources.
Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc obtains consent from the individuals concerned for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information through various means: verbally or through written documents, including agreements, forms including vehicle purchase/leasing forms and repair orders, welcome kits as well as printed or electronic communications. The form of consent sought by Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc will vary according to the sensitivity of the personal information, the reasonable expectations of the individuals and any requirements or standards established by law.
- In certain circumstances, personal information may be collected, used or disclosed without consent. These exceptional circumstances may include:
- where it is clearly in the interest of the individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way, such as in emergencies, where the life, health or safety of the individual is threatened, or where legal, medical or security reasons make it impossible or impractical to obtain consent;
- when information is being collected, used or shared for the detection, prevention of or remediation to, the breach of an agreement, fraud or other illegal activity, and the collection of consent might defeat the purpose of collecting the information;
- to collect a debt; and
- to comply with a subpoena, warrant or other court order, or as may be otherwise required or authorized by law or by any regulatory bodies having jurisdiction.
Right to Withdraw Consent
Consent may be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice; however, without such consent, Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc may be limited in the services or products it is able to provide customers. You may also withdraw your consent as follows:
- Mail marketing, Telephone marketing and Quality control communications. You may decide that you prefer Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc not to use your personal information to promote new and/or additional products and services which may be of interest to you and refuse further Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc contact by mail or telephone for marketing purposes or by email or telephone for quality control purposes. If this is the case, you may advise us by contacting customer service or contacting us using the information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
- Commercial Electronic Communications. You can always limit the communications that Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc sends to you. To opt out of commercial emails, simply click the link labeled 'unsubscribe' or 'opt out' at the bottom of any commercial electronic communication we send you. Please note that even if you opt out of promotional communications, we may still need to contact you with important information about your account or for other purposes as may be permitted or required under applicable laws. If you have any questions about your choices or if you need any assistance with opting out, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
Sharing of Personal Information
- Third party or affiliated service providers. We may hire service providers, which may be affiliates, to perform services on our behalf. This may include, without limitation, a person or an organization retained by Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc to perform work on its behalf. We provide them with a limited amount of information which is necessary in order for them to provide the services required. They are prohibited from using the information for purposes other than to facilitate and carry out the services they have been engaged to provide. These service providers are not permitted to disclose this information to others.
- As permitted or required by law. From time to time, Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc may be compelled to disclose personal information in response to a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, valid demand, search warrant, government investigation or other legally valid request or inquiry. We may also disclose information to our accountants, auditors, agents and lawyers in connection with the enforcement or protection of our legal rights. We also reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful or to law enforcement and emergency services providers, in an emergency or where required or permitted by law. We may release certain personal information when we have reasonable grounds to believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of others and ourselves, in accordance with or as authorized by law.
Website Privacy [Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc TO DETERMINE WHAT APPLIES TO Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc SHIP ONLINE ACTIVITY]
Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc generally collects and uses personal information from or about its website visitors and users as follows:
- Information you provide. In many cases, we collect personal information directly from you when you visit or use our website. For instance, we may collect the following types of information:
- Technical information. When you visit our website, we may use electronic means such as cookies to collect technical information. This information may include information about your visit to our website, including the IP address of your computer and which browser you used to view our website, your operating system, resolution of screen, location, language settings in browsers, the site you came from, keywords searched (if arriving from a search engine), the number of page views, information you entered, advertisements you have seen, etc. This data is used to measure and improve the effectiveness of our website or enhance the experience for our customers. For instance, it may be used to ensure that the products advertised on our website are available in your area or that we are not showing you the same ads repeatedly. We treat this information as personal information when it is associated with your account or contact information. We also collect and use the following information when you visit and/or interact with us on our website:
- Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics which allows us to see information on user website activities including, but not limited to, page views, source and time spent on our website. This information is depersonalized and is displayed as numbers, meaning that it cannot be tracked back to individuals. You may opt out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt out page.
- [Google AdWords: We use Google AdWords Remarketing to advertise Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc across the Internet and to advertise on third party websites (including Google) to previous visitors to our website. AdWords remarketing will display ads to you based on what parts of the Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc website you have viewed by placing a cookie on your web browser. It could mean that we advertise to previous visitors who haven't completed a task on our site or this could be in the form of an advertisement on the Google search results page, or a site in the Google Display Network. This cookie does not in any way identify you or give access to your computer or mobile device. The cookie is only used to indicate to other websites that you have visited a particular page on our website, so that they may show you ads relating to that page. If you do not wish to participate in our Google AdWords Remarketing, you can opt out by visiting Google's Ads Preferences Manager].
- [Behavioural Advertising. Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc does not allow third-party cookies on its website for purposes of delivering third parties' advertising based on preferences or interests known or inferred from the data collected for advertising purposes (often referred to as Online Behavioural Advertising or OBA).]
Personal Information Outside of Canada
In some cases, personal information that we manage may be transferred, processed and stored outside Canada, and therefore may be available to government authorities under lawful orders and laws applicable outside of Canada. Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc will strive to protect personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements requiring that those third parties adhere to confidentiality and security procedures and protections that are, at a minimum, equivalent to those employed by Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc itself.
Security of Personal Information
We will use reasonable security measures to protect your personal information against unauthorized access. Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc has implemented security measures that contain administrative, technical and physical controls that are designed to safeguard your personal information.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected and for which consent was received, unless otherwise required or permitted by law. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfill the identified purposes or for a purpose required or permitted by law, will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous. Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc has developed and implemented retention procedures, and will ensure destruction of personal information in a method that prevents improper access.
Access and Correction
Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc respects your right to access and correct your personal information. If you need assistance updating your personal information, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
How to Contact Us
At Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc we respect your privacy and value our relationship with you. Your personal information will be protected, will never be sold, and will be used only by GM Canada, affiliates, their retailers, service suppliers and us for the purposes of providing products or services. Our goal is to enhance your product and service experience with us. By submitting personal information to us, you are consenting to its use and disclosure for the following purposes:
- Sell or lease of a vehicle;
- Provide products or services related to a vehicle;
- Assist you with the financing or lease of a vehicle;
- Provide you with and improve automotive related products and services;
- Meeting safety, security, legal and regulatory requirements;
- Providing you with general marketing, product, service and business partner information and offers;
- Maintaining accuracy of our records to respond to your inquiries and provide you with warranty or other customer service communications, and otherwise manage our relationship with you; and
- Satisfying other reasonable, legitimate business interests (such as collecting outstanding debts).
Our client’s privacy is important to us at ROY ‘S CHEVROLET BUICK GMC INC. and the purpose of this policy is to give information on what personal information we collect about our clients, how we use it, whether we disclose it to anybody else, how long we keep it and how our clients can request access to their personal information or obtain more information about our privacy policies.
We are responsible for personal information under our control and we have designated the dealer principal who will be responsible for our compliance with this policy and with privacy legislation. If you wish to contact our privacy officer, you can do so either by:
- Telephone: 613-525-2300
- Facsimile: 613-525-3860
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: 4000 County Road 34, P.O. Box 70, Green Valley, Ontario, K0C 1L0
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you purchase or lease a vehicle from us, when you have us service or repair a vehicle, if you finance the purchase or lease of a vehicle through us, purchase or lease other products or services from or through us, if you participate in one of our surveys, contests, promotions, if you test drive one of our vehicles or contact our dealership staff, we may collect some or all of the following personal information:
- name, address, telephone number;
- e-mail address and facsimile number;
- information about your driving habits, such as preferred car size, colour, type of vehicle, kilometres driven annually, etc.;
- information about your existing vehicle(s) and any trade-in;
- details of your vehicle and its service history;
- driver’s licence number;
- name of your insurance company and agent;
- insurance policy number and details about insurance coverage;
- similar information about others members of your family;
- language preference;
- date of birth and/or date of birth of other members of your family;
- social insurance number and/or social insurance number of other members of your family;
- financial and credit information about you and/or other members of your family (specific information is set out in the application for credit forms);
- credit history;
- principle amount of your loan, interest and repayment schedule;
- health information if you are applying for life, health, disability or accident insurance;
- the amount of any life, health, disability or accident insurance and details of the insurance.
We use personal information only for the purpose identified below and access to our client’s personal information is limited to certain employees of Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc who need to have access to it and are aware of the importance of maintaining the security and confidentiality of personal information. We use appropriate security safeguards to provide necessary protection such as: locking filing cabinets, restricting access to offices, alarm systems, passwords, firewalls, anonymizing software, staff training and confidentiality agreements.
We may use personal information to provide products and services to our clients such as: obtain a licence for a vehicle, obtain credit report for financing a vehicle, provide our clients with a reminder that their vehicle requires servicing and provide our clients with updates and information regarding products and services that we offer and which we think will be of interest to our clients.
We do not sell personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of our client’s personal information with third parties such as the manufacturer of the vehicle (General Motors) and its related companies, the providers of products or services relating to the vehicle, credit reporting agencies, financial institutions or financing companies, an insurance agent or company and companies which provide or insure warranties related to a vehicle. We may also disclose some personal information where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
We retain personal information as long as we believe that a person is still the owner of a vehicle purchased from us. If the information relates to the financing or lease of a vehicle purchased from us, we retain personal information relating to the financing or lease arrangements as long as those arrangements are in place. If the information relates to the service or repair of a vehicle, we retain the personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary to address any issues arising from the service or repair of the vehicle or as may be required by law. If there are legal requirements relating to the period of time which we must retain the personal information, we comply with those requirements.
Most of the personal information that we collect is necessary for us to sell or lease a vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist our clients in the financing or lease of a vehicle or to provide service to a vehicle. Similarly, we must disclose some personal information as described above in order to sell or lease a vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist our clients in arrangements for financing or leasing a vehicle or to provide services to the vehicle. If you do not want us to use or disclose your personal information in a particular way, please contact our privacy officer who will be pleased to discuss with you how we can limit collection, use or disclosure of any personal information. If a client refuses to provide some personal information, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report or provide a product or service, may be affected.
Our employees are under the obligation not to use or disclose any personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law.
STORAGE AND DESTRUCTION
All personal information is protected by security safeguards and stored securely. Only employees who have a need to access it will be able to. Files or documents containing personal information are not left lying around for all to see or pick-up. Computers containing personal information are accessible only by authorized personnel. Documents containing personal information are destroyed, deleted and/or recycled as to assure that the information is not accessible and/or recognizable.
Our clients have the right to access the personal information that we have about them and request that personal information, which they believe is inaccurate, be corrected. Any client who wishes to access his personal information should contact our privacy officer who will be pleased to assist.
We ask that all our clients sign a consent for the collection of personal information and we assure our clients that we will protect personal information according to the law. However, by giving their personal information, our clients agree to the use, collection and communication of their personal information as provided by our Policy.
If you have any questions or concerns about this Private Policy or about the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by Roys Chevrolet Buick GMC Inc, please contact our privacy officer as set out at the beginning of this policy and we will try to address any concerns.
AT ROY’S, WE TREAT YOU ROYALLY.